About the book...

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF WOLF TIDE... 17 year-old ANABARA NOLIO is descended from a long line of warriors. From the Gull People on her father’s side she has the ability to fly, and from her highborn Galen mother she has access to the world of the privileged elite. She is a also a Private Investigator. When tasked with discovering the truth about the University library’s lost books she thinks it’s a simple case. But the city isle of LARIDY is riddled with dark secrets and ancient magic - a legacy from historic dealings with the Realm of the Fairy...

Monday 25 November 2013

STAINED-GLASS ANGELS LEAVING THEIR WINDOWS?

I love stained glass windows.  Everywhere I go I take photos of the coloured light that they shed on floors and walls.  Here's an example from Liverpool cathedral, right outside my front door:


And another from the fabulous church of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, which I visited in September:


In Wolf Tide I wanted stained glass windows that were magically engineered to contain moving figures.  I followed the thread of that idea to see where it went, and I found myself thinking that this could be part of University Library's ancient security system.  The stained glass figures were supposed to be armed to protect the library.  Over the centuries, though, they had fallen into disrepair.  My heroine, Anabara, is employed by the university to sort the security problems out.  For that she needs the help of a Fairy artisan.  But he does a rather more thorough restoration job than she'd bargained for...

...And now an eerie light gathered at the corridor mouth.  Jingle, jingle. Wind-chimes in a breeze.  Oh dear God. An angel. I’m trapped. It’s over. Snick-snick-snick, the peacock wings unfolded. It filled the arch­way. A sword in its hand. No escape. She backed away. It advanced. She stopped. It stopped. She could hear herself whimpering, couldn’t help herself. She cringed away again, it came on. And now her back was against the door of the Stacks. Still it advanced. All lit up as if by sunshine. A dozen colours spilled on to the walls and floor...

1 comment: